Adding Storage to Any Room
You can reduce stress caused by the lack of room in your home. Many people toil with finding new areas in their rooms in which to store their stuff. Adding creative storage units can open up your rooms and produce new room designs.
- A first step to identifying the storage units needed to add space to a room is to empty the room out. Get rid of the clutter. Throw out all the unnecessary items that have been taking up space in your room. What purpose will your new storage addition provide for your room? Once you decide, you can then add the storage units necessary for your room.
- Look up into your room. Adding storage additions off the floor and higher on a wall can add extra space to a room. Cabinets with glass doors are not only decorative but items can be easily identified. Another consideration when adding shelves or cabinets higher on the wall areas is whether you can reach the shelves. If the room addition is not at a good height, are the items stored going to be used frequently and are they worth storing on a higher shelf?
- Enclosed shelves added to the middle or to a corner area of your home space can add a creative flair to your room. Creating a tubular or rectangular bookshelf display can use dead space within your room for displaying knick-knacks, framed photos, vacation mementos, and books.
- Placing a wooden chest underneath a window can add storage area in your room. Place decorative pillows on top of the chest and you have not only created a comfortable place to sit but have additional storage area in your room. Placing bookshelves alongside the window can make your window-seating corner a great reading spot.
- Using cubby shelves is a great method for storing small items that would be difficult to organize in other areas of your room. Decorate your cubby shelves by painting, staining, or simply leaving the wood or metal in its natural state.
- Purchasing dining room tables with removable leaves can be a great room space saver. Put your table leaf in your garage or inside a closet for safekeeping. Pull out the table leaf when your dinner guests arrive and remove the leaf when your guests leave. The dining room chairs can be placed around the outskirts of your room. Placing an afghan or decorative draping can alter the look of your chairs to complement the room.
Creativity is the key to your success for adding storage to your room. Furniture pieces like antique trunks or chests can serve multiple purposes in a room. These furniture pieces can serve as tables or as storage areas for items you would like to have in your room but do not have the space to store them.