Finding Space for a Home Office
Written by Lee Wyatt (last updated October 26, 2021)
There are many reasons that a person could want to have a home office. For example, you could be looking to save money (due to the rising cost of gas) by telecommuting to work. Perhaps you have a business that you are trying to run from the home. Or maybe, you simply want an area that is dedicated to whatever type of work that your family needs. Whatever the reason, home offices are on the rise.
No matter how much a person wants it, there is still the small problem of finding space for a home office. Believe it or not there are many ways that you can have a home office, no matter how small your home is. Whether you have a home that is large enough that you could dedicate an entire floor to office space or you only have a small area of your living room (if you have a living room, that is), you are going to be able to have the office space you need. Just follow these simple steps.
- Location. Probably the most difficult aspect of finding space for a home office is simply determining where it is you want it located. If you live by yourself, then this may not be that difficult to decide. However, if you live with other people, then you are going to have to decide with those other people where the best location would be. Be willing to compromise, or this project may never be completed.
- Plan. As you decide on the location, one of the topics you really need to keep in mind is simply what you are going to be using the office for. If you are going to be using it for an actual business, then you want to make sure that you keep the area as clutter free as possible. If you are going to be using it more along the lines as a family "whatever" area, where the entire family is going to be accessing it for their projects, then keep that in mind as well. Basically, make a plan for the use of the room.
- Draw. Once you have decided on the location of the area, as well as the primary purpose of the area, it is time to draw out a blueprint. Taking the time to visualize the area in this manner is going to help ensure that you get the results that you want.
- Clean. Now that you have all of what I like to call the planning stages out of the way, you are ready to begin the real work. What this means is that you are going to have to clean out the area of any extraneous items. In fact I would suggest totally cleaning the area out, that way you can rearrange everything to your liking as you put in the office supplies.
- Implement. Finally, after you have cleaned the area out, go ahead and start putting the office supplies into place according to your blueprint. After you have assembled everything you need for your office you are ready to begin using it. Just remember, implementing does not mean simply doing it one time. Be sure that you keep this area dedicated to its intended purpose, or you are going to be repeating this exercise in a few months time.
Anyone who has ever used any kind of email system can tell you just how quickly it can become a cluttered and ...
Email has quickly become an important part of our daily lives, and an even more important part of our work lives. Since ...
Over time, you accumulate a lot of important things on your computer. Whether you work at a large office, out of the ...