Perhaps one of the single most important aspects of filing storage is being able to decide on the correct type of folders, or storage mediums to use. In order to make that task a little easier, here is some information about the variety of filing storage options that you have available. As you read, you will notice that there is a name or type of filing storage medium listed, after which you find a brief description about that medium.
- Folded files. The common folded file folder needs no real introduction. What is really special about this type of filing storage is that it can, and should, be labeled immediately for easy access of the correct contents. It can be labeled directly on the tab with a pen or pencil. Electronic label makers are available to make labels effortlessly.
- Hanging folders. A hanging folder with hooks on all four corners, which slides over a rail, is used to file one or more manila folders. Loose sheets are seldom placed directly into hanging folders. When documents from the folder are needed, the manila folder(s) are removed from the hanging folder. The hanging folder is left in its place on the rails.
- Presentation folders. Presentation folders are often carried by agents or entrepreneurs marketing their products or services. The folder's front page is usually decorated with pictures of the product described inside where the product is emphasized with more pictures and images.
- Ring binders. Ring binders are folders in which punched pieces of paper may be held by means of clamps running through the holes in the paper. These retainers are usually spring-loaded, and may have additional latching systems. They come in different sizes but can also be tailor made to suit your special needs. Most companies use a two to four holed system for holding A4 sheets. Some vinyl binders have a clear pocket on the outside for cover pages, and many have pockets in the inner cover for loose papers, business cards, compact discs, etc.
- Desktop organizers. Desktop Organizers are made of materials such as wood, chrome, wire, or plastic. Be creative and turn recycle waste into unique desktop organizers. Cut plastic bottles tops off. Use decorative stickers or color paints to decorate the bottle. The plastic points at the bottom are ideal to keep it standing. Put sand or collared stones at the bottom, place a divider above and use it for pen holders, paper clip holders, or whatever else you have lying or standing around on your desk. Your desk is the only "filing space" you are able to really personalize to go together with your personality.
Hettie lives in Mokopane, South Africa. She writes articles for a country-wide monthly newspaper, The Vessel. She self-published a devotional book in 1993 and writes a regular column, Hettie's Chatterbox, for the S.A. Neuromuscular Foundation. Learn more about Hettie...
Gone are the days of magnetic films which needed to be developed and often we had to pay for boo-boos and mistakes too! ...
Did you know that electronic filing is suitable for the storage, cataloguing, and retrieval of documents such as letters, ...
The best way to go about having a successful business is to understand the systems and organizational structures at work. ...
Too many papers can create unsightly clutter. Fix this problem by filing your papers in an orderly fashion.
Although records come in all formats, general filing rules will apply to each of them. It is important to decide on which ...
Tips for a Foolproof Filing System
Due to the ever-increasing bureaucratic nature of today's world it has become necessary to have some type of filing ...