Organizing an At Home Gym
Do you need to get in shape, or perhaps you want to stay in shape? If you do, but you don't want to spend any more of your hard earned money than you need to with an expensive gym membership, there is a simple method that you can use to start getting in shape. This method is to start by organizing an at home gym. While the initial cost may seem a little prohibitive, in the long run you can save a bundle. Best of all, you don't have to get everything all at once. Here is a list of a few items that you need when organizing an at home gym, and why each one is so helpful.
- Resistance tubing. One of the best things that you can have as a part of your at home gym is some resistance tubing. Compact and easily storable these items are a great alternative to weights, particularly if you don't have a lot of space to work with. On the average, you can find a good set of resistance tubing that will allow you to adjust your work out to your particular skill level for around $30.
- Jump rope. An inexpensive piece of exercise equipment, you can purchase a decent one from most department stores and sports stores for about $8. This equipment will allow you to add some high impact cardiovascular work to your at home gym, and help you to work up a really good sweat as well.
- Weight bench. If you have the space and money, you should get a weight bench. On the average, a weight bench will run you around $130 and will take up a bit of room. These items are extremely helpful, even if you don't get the weights that go with them. You can use the bench itself to help out with other exercises, such as chest presses, flies, and provides more range of motion than you would get if you exercised on the floor.
- Dumbbells. Dumbbells are a great piece of equipment that will add variety to all kinds of different exercises. If you have the space, and the money, you should get a complete set that ranges from 5 pounds to 25 pounds. This will give you the ability to increase the weight that you use as you work out, but can be fairly expensive. On average, dumbbell sets will cost you about $5 per pound, so be ready to spend a little bit of money.
- Stability ball. A stability ball can help you increase your balance and flexibility, in addition to working on your strength. This piece of exercise equipment does this by allowing you to work on several sets of muscle groups at the same time. Depending on your size you will want to choose a stability ball that is between 55 centimeters and 75 centimeters; an average sized person will do just fine with one that is 65 centimeters though. One of these will set you back about $25.
- Recumbent bike. A recumbent bike is a great piece of equipment that allows you to do a lot of cardio work, without a lot of high stress impact. However, these things can be expensive. A gym quality piece of equipment will run you between $2,000 and $3,000, so only purchase one if you have the money to spend and are actually going to use it.
- Yoga mat. Yoga mats are a great piece of equipment that you can use for a variety of different exercises even if you aren't using it for yoga. Ideally, you will use it when doing some yoga exercises and stretches, but you can also use it as a simple workout mat. The slightly sticky surface will help you focus your workout on the muscles you want, instead of slipping and sliding on the surface of the floor.
- DVDs/CDs/MP3 player. The benefits of distraction cannot be extolled enough. Have something on hand that can help take your mind off of the tedium and boredom that can come with almost any workout. Have the music playing in the background on your CD player, perhaps you could be listening to some of your favorite tunes on your MP3 player, or possibly even pop in a workout DVD to get some inspiration if you find yourself lagging.
If you don't take some time to organize your CDs, you can easily find yourself wasting time. You can waste time through ...
Have you ever noticed how easy it is for an entertainment center to become a disorganized mess? When this happens, it can ...
Movies provide endless hours of intrigue, romance, or action drama entertainment. You have the ability to view repeatedly ...