Who doesn't need a little more home storage? It seems like every day we are getting more and more things to fill our homes, and after time we simply run out of places to store it all. Instead of letting your home become a huge, cluttered mess, why not use these guidelines for creating a little more storage around the home. After all, what better idea for home storage, than to "create" more space? Here's what you do.
- Go through everything. One of the key ways to create more home storage is by going through everything. What this means is to go thru and get rid of things you do not use, clothes that do not fit, duplicate items, and so on. If you come across excess things that you don't need then you set them aside for later sorting.
- Separate everything. As you are going through everything according to whether you are going to keep it, give it to family, donate it to a thrift store, or even just throw it out. Have a trash bag or can there, a bag for Good Will or family (not living in your house). A great question to use is: "If I haven't used it in six months, I'm not going to use it." How often do you buy double what you really need, lose the second, and rebuy yet again? This will help you refrain from doing this, as well as save you some money in the future.
- Create a storage system. You need to create a home storage system. One of the most effective is to use RubberMaid (or similar) plastic bins. These are great for storing things like yarn, crafts, office supplies, decorations, and so on. As you are filling these storage bins up, create a list of everything that is going into it, and put the list into the bin last. Label the outside of the bin so that you know at a glance what is inside of it.
- Implement the system. Once you have come up with the home storage system that you will be using, it is time to implement it. This means actually sitting down and actually doing all the work necessary to ensure that it works. Go through all the steps listed above, and you will be well on the way to implementing your system. Do not stop with just one room in the home. Rather, go through the entire home, and repeat the process for each room (including the garage and storage areas).
- Maintain the system. No matter how clever your home storage system is, how full of ideas it may be, unless you maintain the system it will not work. This simply means that if you don't keep up on what you are doing, then you will find yourself back where you are now in just a few months, if not weeks.
Have you ever noticed that there are a few areas that always get disorganized a little more often than others? Learning ...
For many people, moving is an extremely annoying, not to mention painful, process. Usually people want to avoid the ...
If you have ever moved, or are thinking of moving, then you know just how stressful an experience it can be. Why add ...