Filing accessories can be really helpful in organization. Most accessories are the "vehicle" or the means by which you achieve your organization goals. Here are some common (and easily located) accessories and how they are used:
- Adhesive tags. Tags are wonderful since they can be used in different places, such as on folders without tabs or in a binder without dividers between the sections of pages within. I like to use them on plastic sheet protectors in binders so that I know what portion of the papers in the binder I am seeing.
- Self-adhesive pockets. Use self-adhesive pockets, since they are really useful because they can keep their integrity and will stick to any file to which you want them. They are wonderful when you need to store some smaller pieces of paper or photos in the file and do not want them to slide out and get lost.
- Fasteners. Whether you want a portion of your file or several files fastened together, these will keep your files together. I find these help me when I want to keep things grouped together so I do not forget that they are all related and do not leave any files out.
- Dividers. You can get these made especially for your folders or you can get them made to be put in a binder. I love these because you really feel that you are starting a new section when you see one of them, and you can write pertinent notes on your dividers, or even put self-adhesive pockets on them.
- End-tab converters. If you are looking to change your filing system to one where you can see from the side, rather than looking down, then end-tab converters are a wonderful option. This way, you can keep your manila folders from being wasted in the transition from drawer to shelf.
- Jackets. Jackets are useful for keeping large and more slippery items from getting lost (like overheads). I like them because they are good, somewhat thick (for a file folder accessory) containers but they also fit in file folders easily. They do not completely close, though.
- Envelopes. Basically like your regular postal envelope in structure, but are often made of plastic of some kind and they do close completely, so you can keep small items in them and not have to worry about those items getting out.
- Anything made to go in a binder. Simply put, these can be anything from plastic business card-holders to zippered bags. I put them all in one category because there are so many different kinds that there is not room in this article to talk about them all. I love them enough to mention them, though, and I highly recommend you use them if you carry a binder around with you.
Protecting your identity is becoming more important with each passing day. Often times it seems like you can't turn on ...
Like cats and small children, documents seem to have the ability to take up more space than is physically possible. ...
No matter what our profession, email is always becoming more and more important. What do you do though, if you want to ...